The Bishop of Barrow-in-Furness was the title given to the Office-holders of this Suffragan Bishopric, founded in 1889 within the Diocese of Carlisle. Its foundation was instigated by Harvey Goodwin, then Bishop of Carlisle, to secure episcopal assistance within his geographically large and scattered diocese, of which Barrow was the most distant town from Carlisle and (by its phenomenal growth in the preceding 20 years) had become the largest. At first the post of Bishop was held in plurality with a Residentiary Canonry at Carlisle Cathedral and the bishop lived in the The Close there.This changed in 1921 when the post was held in plurality with the Rectory of Aldingham, an ancient Furness Abbey parish under Crown patronage.
1889-1909 Henry Ware
1909-1926 Cambell West-Watson
1926-1944 Herbert Sidney Pelham