For his Suffragan, Bishop Goodwin of Carlisle chose his son-in-law, Henry Ware. Ware, 59, was a first-class graduate of Trinity College, Cambridge, and had been Vicar of Kirkby Lonsdale since 1862. Well-respected in the diocese he was a popular choice. His Consecration took place in York Minster on 11th June (St.Barnabas' Day) 1889, in honour of which Trinity College awarded him the degree of Doctor of Divinity. At that time there was no separate funding for suffragan bishops, so their appointments had to be held in plurality wth a stipendiary post. In Bishop Ware's case this was a Residentiary Canonry of Carlisle Cathedral and he lived in the cathedral precincts.
He paid his first visit to Barrow on 30th June 1889 for a Morning Service at St.George's Church, the civic church built through the generosity of Sir James Ramsden, one of the principal founders and benefactors of the town. The Borough Council celebrated this inaugural service of "their" bishopric by attending the Service with due civic pomp and ceremony.
In November 1891 Bishop Goodwin of Carlisle died and was replaced by Bishop Bardsley, who himself became quite ill in 1897. This meant that over the following years much more of the diocesan duties fell to Bishop Ware than he might have expected. Bishop Bardsley died in September 1904 and his successor, Bishop Diggle, was not appointed for another five months, so another period in which Bishop Ware carried the full responsibilities of the diocese. By now he was 74 years of age and when Bishop Diggle arrived he seems to have (deservedly) started to "wind down" to some extent.
He and his wife visited Italy as much as they could and it was on a visit there early in 1909 that Bishop Ware became ill and died on 16th April, aged 79. He was buried in the English Cemetery at Rome on Sunday 18th. A Memorial Service was held in Carlisle Cathedral on 22nd April and this brought to a conclusion nearly 50 years of faithful service to the diocese.